Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

One of my tabs won't append to my excel output

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I have a workflow that has 3 outputs that I want to all be in the same excel doc on separate tabs. I thought it was working before but now it's not. Here is part of my workflow:

CherieACI_0-1629238747630.png

The top 2 outputs flow into the same excel doc on separate tabs but the 3rd one will not. Here are the settings in the output. The file I am writing to is the same for all 3 but each with a different tab name 1st: (C:\Users\williamsonc\Desktop\Alteryx Workflows\AR Collection\Output\AR Cash Collected v3.xlsx|||Totals by Collector) 2nd: (C:\Users\williamsonc\Desktop\Alteryx Workflows\AR Collection\Output\AR Cash Collected v3.xlsx|||Totals by Date) 3rd: (C:\Users\williamsonc\Desktop\Alteryx Workflows\AR Collection\Output\AR Cash Collected v3.xlsx|||By Quarter). The first and the third output data configurations look like this:

1st/3rd:

CherieACI_1-1629238849869.png

2nd:

CherieACI_2-1629239194400.png

Why will 2 of them make it and not the 3rd? As always, thank you in advance Community!

12 REPLIES 12
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Add a block until done...

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

I added a block until done but it didn't change anything. Should it be done a different way? 

CherieACI_0-1629294544183.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

block until done should take all three streams in and then output to each of the 3 excels - but before we go there can you hook up a browse to the false anchor for your bottom filter? It's good to confirm that you have data going to the true anchor which should be written to the bottom output data?

I notice your middle container uses a datetime tool and your bottom anchor uses todate() - todate only works if a string is exactly in in the (YYYY-mm-dd) format. If this isn't the case datetimeparse would be better.

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

Hi, I do have data in the true and false side of the filter in the 3rd output so something should be writing to a file. The to date filter is in the correct format YYY-mm-dd. Also, if I change the output name of the 3rd output to go to it's own separate file it works, it just won't append to the existing excel file. I'm not sure how I could union all of these together first to use a block until done and still get the desired results of the summaries I need. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

O.k. - thanks for checking those are usual potential stumbling blocks.  For block until done - you don't need to use a union - Block until done takes multiple streams in just like a union. so just drag them all into the tool. and then each output comes out as 1,2,3 from the tool. Also - just to clarify is output 3 overwriting or creating a new sheet? Is this setup correctly?

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

I tried to drag all 3 streams to the block until done tool but it will only take one. The 3rd output is creating a new sheet. 

CherieACI_0-1629314073189.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

o.k. - so the normal way to do this is to have one data stream with different components that you want for different tabs - and then you use one output data with take table/filename or fullpath selected so that it creates each sheet individually. it's still weird to me that the third sheet doesn't work but the first two do. Could you post your workflow and some sample data?

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

I think it is weird too because I'm pretty sure it worked at one point and I have other work flows that work fine adding tabs to the same file. I'm baffled. 

Thanks for looking!

CherieACI
8 - Asteroid

This is still unsolved. Anyone have any ideas? 

Labels