We have extended our Early Bird Tickets for Inspire 2023! Discounted pricing goes until February 24th. Save your spot!

Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer and Intelligence Suite.

OData sources and destinations

ckuhtz
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there,

I'd like to query and write to an OData source directly, rather than either dump to file / import etc or use an ODBC driver as a front end.  Has anyone attempted this?  Anyone have suggestions on how that might be done?  I'm not asking how to use OData, I'm asking about the Alteryx specific bits for where to start with that integration.

Thanks,

Christian

8 REPLIES 8
danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I think you should look into the download tool. I have build quite a few API integrations also to REST API's. Please let me know, if I can do more to help out.

Have a nice weekend,

Daniel

ckuhtz
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Daniel, will give that a try and report back.

danielbrun2
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Perfect.

Looking forward to hear about the outcome.

All the best,

Daniel

ckuhtz
6 - Meteoroid

Just now getting back to this.  Can you point me to an example of a RESTful query implemented with the Download tool?

ckuhtz
6 - Meteoroid

So, a little more explanation on the way you interact with Azure Table Storage is that you submit a GET request to retrieve Entities from this NoSQL storage.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dd179421.aspx

When you Query Entities with this API, you receive 1000 entities in the response.  And you receive a continuation token.  You then use this continuation token to retrieve the next 1000 entities. Here's an example of what that looks like.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dd135718.aspx

How would you do this with the download tool which seems to be a simple query and done engine but not a "query, read, take something from the data you got and evaluate whether to use it to ask for more data, repeat until done".

When you have a million rows in the table, you literally have to do send a query in a 1000 times (each with the continuation token of the prior query) until you're done.

I'm stuck at the moment. :(

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Been meaning to do this myself. Will try and stick something together this weekend.

Basically the perfect case for an iterative macro.

Will see if I can set up a demo downloading from the Nerd dinner odata service and post it here.
PhilH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@jdunkerley79 did you have any success with this? 

PhilH
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Labels