Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Interface Tools: Dropdown list populated from connected data

dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

This is part of my workflow:

alteryx.png

There are two containers that need to run before it can populate the drop down. Is it even possible to work that way? I need to obtain the list for dropdown that is not static hence I need to run it before the App even starts. Any ideas?

Basically what I'm trying to achieve is to run dynamic queries with different fields (WHERE clause), but sometimes that clause, or element of it has to be populated from different query. It's almost like cascaded parameterisation. Any workarounds? Or am I doing it incorrectly?

I can't block execution as it only works in workflow mode right? And I can't block execution of the input data tool (maybe connect-in-db is the key here?)

4 REPLIES 4
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

You can run an analytic app that chains information into a second analytic app.  I don't have an example for you, but have solved for this before by linking the apps.

I hope that this helps,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

What if those two containers are not an analytic app? 

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but thought that running dynamic queries would be simple like that. There is no point to grab 600GB worth of data and then use filters within Alteryx to filter data I only need. It's cool if those changes are dates or static text, but any dynamic parameters - I just don't see how I can do it :/

--edit

please tell me if I'm thinking it wrong... Should I save those two previous containers with Macro Output and use Macro Input with the file pointing to the workflow?

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I second @MarqueeCrew. High level steps to turn your process into chained app:

1. Turn whatever process that you want to feed into your dropdown into an analytic app that writes out to a local yxdb. For the correct data format see documentation under "External Source" here.
  2. Turn the app created in step 1 into a chained app by going to Interface Designer and under Properties selecting "On Success - Run Another Analytic App" then select the original app you already created prior to step 1.
  3. In the original app, point your dropdown to the local yxdb you created in step 1.

Now running the app you created in step 1 will calculate the dropdown fields then on success automatically run the original app.

dawid_nawrot
9 - Comet

Sounds interesting.. I will try it tomorrow and convey the results. Thank you!

---

Thank you @NeilR! It is the best way..   Also just in case somebody finds this post - it is useful to disable App Results window if your first App is only a data feeder, Interface Designer -> Properties -> On Succes - Show Results to User (untick)

Labels