Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

In Database workflows - Performance once large

paulldjones
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all

I have some In-Database workflows which have got fairly large. The workflow creates an excel report from data summarised using in-database commands before being put into an excel workbook to report the results.

I have made liberal use of write to temp table tools to manage the complexity of the sub-query SQL that is being run on the server. I have a number of different report pages being generated but it feels like the individual reports when run in separate workflows seem to run better (faster) when run rather than as a combined workflow.

Has anybody noticed this happen?

regards

Paul

1 REPLY 1
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @paulldjones 

Depending on the load that you're putting on the SQL server and the congestion on the server when your running the workflows, it is possible that running 4 workflows sequentially will run faster than 1 large workflow.  The slow down may also not be on the DB side but on the workstation side.  The single large workflow may be dealing with enough data that it needs to start paging, whereas the 4 sequential ones can keep all data in memory.  

How much of a difference are you seeing?  is the single10-20% slower or 10-20X slower?

Dan  

Labels