Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to feed the name of an input file into a row of the output file

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

My workflow takes data from about 20 seperate input files that are identically formatted and different only by the name of the file (each file has a distinct name, i.e. "Widget #1," "Widget #2" etc.) and each file is fed into a seperate and (nearly) identical workflow box which are joined at the end into a single output file consisting of 20 rows of data, one row for each "Widget" and some data columns going across (weights, cost, etc). 

The hassle i'm having is that in order to get the output file to name each row for each individual widget, i have to manually change 2 formula tools in each workflow box (20 times) with the name of the seperate widget from the input files.  is there some way to incorporate into the workflow the names of the individual files so that each box will take the name (or portion of the name) of the file rather than this manual change in the formula tools in each workflow?

thanks for any help you can provide.

12 REPLIES 12
mohit9garg
8 - Asteroid

@Ladarthure @estherb47 

How can I add a column of file name in output if I am using Directory and Dynamic Input tool.

Kindly guide me.

Thanks,

Mohit

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

When you’re setting up the template file in the dynamic input tool, tick off the option to include the file name (not on my computer right now so cannot send a screenshot). It’s very similar to doing it in the input tool. 

cheers!

esther

mohit9garg
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47  Thank you..got it 🙂

Labels