Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How can I output to multiple sheets in the same workbook without conflict?

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

How can I delay the steps so they don't run into each other?   Each step results in a different sheet in the same workbook.  And, each step is set to "over write sheet drop"?

How can I block a  False until a True is completed.  

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. ¶ (32)

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 4.45.26 PM.png

7 REPLIES 7
ivoller
12 - Quasar

See Block Until Done tool in the developer tools.

LordNeilLord
15 - Aurora
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I'm going to expand a bit on what the above posts mention and actually suggest using the parallel block until done tool. This is part of the crew macro pack which if you haven't downloaded already has a series of extremely useful tools.

For what you are trying to achieve here it will be much easier to implement than the standard block until done tool. The image shows the suggested configuration given your data stream.

PBUT.png

Saying that, it looks like your outputing from almost the same stream, are they identical or do they have different column headers that are ouputting? If they are identical then there is a much simpler method which would involve using the configuration options available at the bottom of the output tool.

Ben

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@BenMoss. They are indeed structurally identical.  

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@LordNeilLord.  I tried Block Until Done.  It's messier.  I was hoping their was a clean way to do it utilizing both filter output streams to drive an output.  

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Okay as they are structurally identical then keep your data as a single stream.

Then place an output data tool at the end of your single stream and give a file name and placeholder sheet name.

Then at the bottom of the output data tool you should use the ‘change file/table name from field’ option.

Here select the field which you want to chunk your outputs by, this will be the field in your filter tool.

When you hit run now you will get a single excel workbook with a sheet for each of your filter values contain just the appropriate data.

Ben
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

Brilliant. 

Labels