Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

GDPR and PII in Alteryx

tjamal1
8 - Asteroid

I have two questions 

i) Can we use Alteryx to achieve GDPR  (General Data Protection Regulation ) ? 

ii) How can we manage PII (personally identifying information) using Alteryx ?

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Alteryx does not persist your data so the output of data should be consistent with your corporate strategies and best practices. As for dealing with PII, depending on the analysis being done, companies often create masked/synthetic datasets for the dev/prod transition.

tjamal1
8 - Asteroid

What's the appropriate approach to masked data-set in Alteryx?

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

There are many different approaches one could take so there isn’t necessarily just one way to go. Using a multi formula tool and a function as shown in the link below is one way to mask data:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Masking-Data-for-Security/td-p/29834 

Alteryx will help you facilitate data transformation, but there are higher level data strategy conversations that I would encourage your group to have because the concepts apply to more than just Alteryx as a platform. What I have presented are a couple of methods, but not necessarily a comprehensive strategy. “Less is more” with GDPR so make sure you are following the guidelines. The great news about workflows is that it is easy to explain to regulatory folks what exactly is being done with the data and why certain pieces are needed in the process. Use this concept in the development of your data strategy and you should be well on your way.

Labels