Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Example of how to allow user to browse for an Excel file and then load specific worksheet

PabloDanielovich
7 - Meteor

I'm a newbie, and so far I like a lot of things about Alteryx, but I'm missing something... something isn't clicking just yet.  I couldn't find an example that shows how to do this simple task (samples I did find were either too complex or too different from what I'm trying to do. 
All I want at this point is to allow the user to select an excel file (I'm using the File Browse tool with the Arbitrary File Specification of *.xlsx), and then trying to use the Input Data tool to open the sheet named "Master Table" in that file.  The Data Input tool shows the error "A file must be specified".  how do I pass the Path, Filename and Worksheet name to the Data Input tool?

13 REPLIES 13
Shade
6 - Meteoroid

This is good start. But if sheet name is not same as written in Text Input tool you will get an error. So my question is... If that happens I would like to offer user a Drop Down menu to select one of the sheet from the same .xslx file.

Specifically for me... I have .xslx input file that consists of 3 sheets with different sheet names and form of table. I have made alteryx workflow which transfers that data in single output file. I am now trying to make an app. And I would like that app has an option, so that user can choose from sheets that are in the .xslx file, if order of the sheets in file changes in the future(which is probable). Thx in advance!

varunamin
8 - Asteroid

Hi Kanderson,

I am unable to get the output. The workflow runs without error but no output.

Can you please help.

anotherusername
8 - Asteroid

Hi Varunamin - you've probably solved this already, but for other confused users out there if they're new to apps (like I was until this morning), a couple of things:

1. Double-clicking on a downloaded Alteryx app will execute the app - ie. it will ask you for your input file.

2. If you're trying to view/edit an app, you'll need to open it from within Alteryx in order to open the workflow rather than just execute the app.

3. To execute the now-opened workflow as an app from within Alteryx, you need to click the obscure little wand icon next to the execute button (also available in the Options menu, 4th down).

4. You'll need to edit this app in order to make it useful to you, eg.

- by modifying the file path in both the dynamic tool AND the text input tool - so that you can execute it both as a workflow (to test) and an app.

- by adding the provided app tools to the front end of a workflow that you've ideally already created to do the thing that you want to do.  (the provided app is just to get a file input)

5. If you want an output (you probably do), then you need to add a file output tool to the end of the workflow.  But if you did step 4 first, then you might've already done that when creating your workflow.

Tip:  get your whole workflow working the way you want it with a basic text input first before trying to get appy on it, otherwise you'll get confused af.

a0r03jm
5 - Atom

Hey,

please help me to understand how you use the formula tool here. I am facing the same challenge 

Labels