Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Establishing Non - linear relationship in alteryx

Suvasini
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a data set consisting of air, railways and bus traffic for hundreds of journeys for a particular year. Three variables I have are fare, time and convenience. I need to make a non -linear equation to forecast what the share of rail traffic will be for the future and establish a correlation between the three mediums of transportation. I was wondering if it can be done using any alteryx. Are you familiar with any tools on alteryx through which something of this sort can be done? 

Would appreciate any help. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @Suvasini ,

There is the "Time Series" tool palette within Alteryx that will enable you to create forecasts. You can use two different algorithms, ETS or ARIMA and build a model that predicts the values in the future.

However, I don't think you have sufficient data to make such forecasts, or even if you do I'm not sure how reliable they will be. You have a year's worth of data, so if you think about it that does not suffice to show if there is a trend or seasonality in your data.

Option number 2 would be to use one of the predictive tool, to create a prediction for the target variable (traffic) based on the predictor variables (fare, time, convenience and means of transportation). You are allowed to create different regressors models that will answer you question and then compare between them to see which one gives you the best results.

Since you want a non-linear relationship, don't be bothered using the linear regression tool but go for the Spline algorithm instead.

You can find some interactive lessons in the community that can act as an intro if you have not used those tools before, here's a link :

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Predictive...

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Angelos

Labels