Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Error when trying to use the R tool - unable to load Rcpp

sjanmohamed
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am having some difficulty running R scripts through Alteryx.  I setup a very simple flow and tried to run the code but received the following error:

R (9) Error: Unable to load the Rcpp package - Use the R installer provided by Alteryx
R (9) Execution halted
R (9) The R.exe exit code (1) indicated an error.

Rcpp is already loaded in C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.4.4\library, so:

1. How do I ensure Alteryx is looking in the above directory for packages?

2. What do I need to do to resolve this issue with Rcpp, (does this package need to be called each time through library(Rcpp)?

RTest.png

I have R version 3.5 installed on my machine; this is what I use normally through RStudio - could this be causing a problem.

Thank you in advance for your help - I have been struggling to find a solution all day and can't figure it out.

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Alteryx references the library you have outlined by default.

As for a solution to your problem.there are several posts on the community outlining the same problem as yourself, give the community a search and see if any of the posts help you come to a solution, if not then we can try and guide you and offer different solutions to those outlined in the posts.

Ben
sjanmohamed
5 - Atom

Thanks @BenMoss,

I have taken a look at the other posts and wasn't able to find a solution. I followed a guideline which documented the removal of the predictive tools and then reinstall, and have made sure I am using both Admin version of Alteryx Designer as well as Predictive Tools. I still continue to get the same error message. Any further suggestions you have would be very much appreciated. I am working on a project which will require some segmentation analysis and can't get to that until I have R working properly within Alteryx.

Thank you for your help!

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Could you try the following.

Delete the Rcpp package from C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.4.4\library

Then go to... C:\Program Files\Alteryx\R-3.4.4\bin and right click on 'R.exe' and hit 'Run as administrator'. 

This will bring up the R terminal.

Then do install.packages("Rcpp")

It will prompt you to select a mirror, just select the one closest to you and check the messages that it appears to have run fine, then close it.

Then try again with library(Rcpp) in the R tool.

Ben

sjanmohamed
5 - Atom

Hi @BenMoss

Thank you for your reply - I'm not sure if my previous message got posted, it appeared to be delivered and then disappeared...

I followed your steps and removed the Rcpp package from the Alteryx library, ran the R.exe as admin and installed the Rcpp package through there. It ended up installing to C:/Users/OWNER/Documents/R/win-library/3.4.

I then went back to Alteryx, ran the R Installer app and loaded the Rcpp package from there as well - which also seemed to install correctly. R is now working in Alteryx - but to be honest I'm not sure how as I don't see the Rcpp package in the Alteryx library folder, even after installing it both through R.exe and the R installer app. When I run .libpaths() I do see both directories in question, so I assume everything was installed correctly. Do you know what the two paths below represent?

.libPaths()
[1] "C:/Users/OWNER/Documents/R/win-library/3.4"
[2] "C:/Program Files/Alteryx/R-3.4.4/library"

Thank you for your help Ben, very much appreciate it!

nitinpatkar1984
7 - Meteor

Great. Thanks for sharing

nitinpatkar1984
7 - Meteor

Great. Thanks

Binocularity
5 - Atom

This worked for me too - but no idea why - it seemed to install Rcpp in a different R location altogether.

Labels