Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically splitting a dataset based upon all values in a field

HSuffolk
7 - Meteor

Hi all

I'm trying to split a dataset automatically based upon the values in a field. I would use a Filter to do this for a specified value, however, I want to do this dynamically for all values within the field. This field is likely to include additional, different values in the future.

As a simple example, if I was to split the attached table based upon their Group dynamically, how would you suggest going about this? 

Thanks

Harry

6 REPLIES 6
DataCurious_Shaan
7 - Meteor

Hi Harry

Added an example workflow below that has 3 possible ways to split the data. Once you specify a value to find you can either filter the whole. Or filter on partial. Another way could be to pivot the data, then create a FLAG to see if it is found then filter on what you need.

Kind regards
Shaan - Co-Founder Datacurious.ai

HSuffolk
7 - Meteor

Apologies Shaan, I'm currently on version 2020.3.4.30228, and unable to update. Are you able to convert this please?

Thanks

Harry

DataCurious_Shaan
7 - Meteor

Hi Harry,

Try the attached workflow. I should also point out those steps can then be copied for what ever number of separate groups you need to build out.

Kind regards
Shaan - Co-Founder Datacurious.ai

DataCurious_Shaan
7 - Meteor

Alternatively, you could use a tile tool to bucket the data on unique values.

DataCurious_Shaan_0-1623842798923.png

HSuffolk
7 - Meteor

Hi Shaan

Thanks for your help.

I've studied your workflow - this works perfectly for a defined group of 2, however, is this possible to do without having to define 2? For example, if I was to import new data next week into the input file that included groups 6,7,8,9,10, and I had repeated this workflow only for groups 1-5, this then wouldn't split out the new groups automatically. Does that make sense?

Thanks

Harry

DataCurious_Shaan
7 - Meteor

Hi Harry, that makes sense. A tile tool will be able to create more dynamic groups based on the data it sees. But trying to split out a group will then need to be defined somewhere in the workflow

DataCurious_Shaan_0-1623844920838.png

Labels