Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input tool using relative file paths

nic_hamley
7 - Meteor

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use the Dynamic Input tool using relative file paths as I will be sharing my workflow around with others so the path names will change. I notice that for the Input Data Source Template, you need to specify an exact path and can't edit it to be a relative path. Is there a way around this? Basically, I want to point it to a blank template excel spreadsheet that I can then use the Dynamic Input tool to change the entire file path to a relative path. But I need to make the Input Data Source Template path relative as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

5 REPLIES 5
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @nic_hamley ,

You have two options. To make the path relative before pressing 'ok' as image below shows.

fmvizcaino_0-1580871164954.png

Or after configuring the dynamic input tool, go to options > advanced options > workflow dependencies and make it relative as image below.

fmvizcaino_1-1580871283578.png

Let me know if this have worked for you.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

nic_hamley
7 - Meteor

@fmvizcaino Legend, this is great. Thanks for the very quick solution!

stanleychen
6 - Meteoroid

when i use relative path (..\3. Reference DB\ABC.xlsx)(the absolute path is "C:\Users\stanleychen\...\3. Reference DB") in the dynamic input tool, an error pops up saying:

Error: Dynamic Input (44): File not found "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\3. Reference DB\ABC.xlsx"

Why the relative path did not direct me to the absolute path but rather to some file in the Alteryx program?

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @stanleychen ,

That usually happens when you forget saving your workflow.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

jmolenaur
5 - Atom

Hi, I am having the same problem, where ONLY the relative path is changing.

I created a new workflow and saved to my desktop

Added an input tool to pass the full absolute file path name to the dynamic input

I used a file that matched the structure as the template

When I execute, no matter what I do, it always using a relative path that is the folder PLUS the remaining path and file info that I want to use as the absolute path. It appears to be defaulting the prefix path to where the actual workflow is saved. How do I get an absolute path to fire (network drive)?

Labels