community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Documentation of Workflow

Meteor

Hi All,

I want to document the workflow process that is created automatically.How can I do that.Can anyone help please.

REgards,

Prasad.

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi,

there are some Documentation tools available to either group different steps within the workflow or add comment boxes to explain.

Maybe this is useful.

Best regards

Roland

Documentation.PNG

Meteor

Thank for the reply.

But in those tools I need to manually add the comments each time.Any Auto documentation process available?

Prasad

Alteryx will automatically build annotations on some tools (such as the filter tool) but not all.

To me docuemtantio should always be done by the owner and developer of the workflow. This human element to documentation will make it much more transferable than if a computer were to generate this information. You know your objective, and the objectives of a group of tools; the computer does not.

It is possible to analyse the a workflow using another workflow which could generate a document with key information in; but this would be a lengthy process.

Ben
Meteor

How can that be done please.Can you send me the process to do that

I can't send you the process to do that no.

An Alteryx workflow is an xml file; so therefore can be inputted and parsed using Alteryx.

There is one resource that will help you get started if this is something you want to look at, in the sample workflows > scripting and automation > batch macros > count number of tools.

As mentioned this is possible but I would never recommend this automatic documentation method; the workflow image and by clicking the tools acts as self documentation; it really need a a human who understands the projects to highlight the key steps.

I will share some images of our documentation process at a later date.

Ben
Bolide

Hi @BenMoss 

I would be interested to see some of your documentation suggestions. We're just starting our Alteryx journey. Scripts from our previous tool were not documented very well, if at all.  We're trying to do things "right" this time around.  Our documentation will be human-generated, the old fashioned way.

Chris

Hi @ChrisTX, here's a couple of resources that we use to help aid the documentation process.

Firstly we have a documentation template, this template is hosted on our Alteryx gallery, but we also ask users to save it to the following location...

C:\Program Files\Alteryx\Samples\en\Learning Guide

This means when users open Alteryx Designer, not only does the learning guide workflow open, but also the template.

Secondly, we provide our users with an example of this template in use, which I have also attached (I've had to delete inputs and outputs as they point to our internal DB).

Again this is hosted on our gallery for users.

2019-01-29_12-08-12.png

We also actively monitor that users are correctly filling in the meta info tab of their workflows using the MongoDB behind our Alteryx Server. This includes ensuring their is a link to an external word document which outlines key details behind the workflow including the input schema, output schema, what the purpose is and so on.

I've attached the template work doc to this post.

2019-01-29_12-09-10.png

Labels