Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create spreadsheet from raw txt file

mzsweetumz
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I am trying to create a spreadsheet with a raw txt file and I was following the directions on a website but can't seem to figure it out.

Here is an example workflow I attempteCapture1.PNG

Notice the raw text in the field I circled above? I want to convert that text into a spreadsheet like so:

Capture2.PNG

As always, your help is deeply appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

uncheck "first row contains field names"

mzsweetumz
8 - Asteroid

I did that and continued working on the workflow but am stuck with an output that does not make sense still:

Capture3.PNG

based off my txt file, there should a couple more unique rows 

output should look like this:

Capture2.PNG

any advice?

Thank you!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

What are your cross tab configurations?

The number in the json name should probably be grouped by, the data is probably items_0_assignee, items_1_assignee, etc. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

what's your json tool configuration too?

mzsweetumz
8 - Asteroid

capture4.PNG

mzsweetumz
8 - Asteroid

Capture5.PNG

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Hi @mzsweetumz hmmm. I think you might need to parse the Json differently - usually you want to pull all the json values into one field and the json names into another (depending upon what you are trying to do) - and then crosstab based upon that - with a unique id that relates to rows. I can't tell the specifics from the schema that you pictured.

If you can post one record of sample json - I'm sure @Luke_C or I could set up a workflow for you - or give you a pointer to what you should be swapping and where.

mzsweetumz
8 - Asteroid

Hi here is a sample txt file - I created false data values. Hopefully this mock dataset should help. Thank you so much!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @mzsweetumz 

This is what I usually do with JSON:

Luke_C_0-1643676843128.png

Labels