Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create an application with dynamic filter

ByranCarter12
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

I am trying to create an application to allow an user to select a list of field.

This list of fields is already configured in a file. The user will only need to choose the list.

I give you an example : 

FieldProductCustomerProvider
ID_ProductTrueTrueTrue
Product_NameTrue  
Customer_Name TrueTrue
Customer_City TrueTrue
Customer_Country True 
Customer_ZIPCode True 
Provider_Name TrueTrue
Provider_City TrueTrue
Provider_Contry TrueTrue
Provider_ZIPCode TrueTrue

So, the user choose for example Customer, and where the value is True, that mean the Field would be on the result. 

In this way the user chooses one of the 3 possibilities (Product, Customer, Provider) and according to his choice, a filter will be applied if the field is included in the list or not (True, or empty).

My database look like this : 

ID_ProductProduct_NameCustomer_NameCustomer_CityCustomer_CountryCustomer_ZIPCodeProvider_NameProvider_CityProvider_ContryProvider_ZIPCode
1AAAPeterMobileUSA1000JohnCaldwellUSA5200
2BBBMarcMontgomeryUSA1001RobertCoeur d’AleneUSA5201
3CCCOliverOpelikaUSA1002MichaelIdaho CityUSA5202
4DDDJulianOzarkUSA1003WilliamIdaho FallsUSA5203
5EEEJohnPhenix CityUSA1004DavidKelloggUSA5204
6FFFHilaryPrichardUSA

RichardLewistonUSA5205

For example, the user choose the value "Provider " and the result will be :

ID_ProductCustomer_NameCustomer_CityProvider_NameProvider_CityProvider_ContryProvider_ZIPCode
1PeterMobileJohnCaldwellUSA5200
2MarcMontgomeryRobertCoeur d’AleneUSA5201
3OliverOpelikaMichaelIdaho CityUSA5202
4JulianOzarkWilliamIdaho FallsUSA5203
5JohnPhenix CityDavidKelloggUSA5204
6HilaryPrichardRichardLewistonUSA5205
7SmithParisJosephMoscowUSA5206
8ParkerLondonThomasNampaUSA5207

So I tried differents ways, for example a listbox with 3 values (Product, Customer, Provider) to give the choice to the user, and then apply a filter on the user's choice to keep only the fields that correspond to the value True. 

But it doesn't work.

There is also another difficulty is that I cannot transpose the columns from the database, because I have millions of rows

i don't know if i was clear about my purpose. 
Do not hesitate to ask me for more information.

Thank You.

1 REPLY 1
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @ByranCarter12,

Have you considered using radio buttons?

This will work best if those columns you mentioned for the "Customer" option, "Provider" option, and "Product" option will be the same every time (please let me know if this is not the case). You would effectively put three radio buttons to enable or disable the corresponding select tool as I demonstrated in the attached app workflow. Don't be alarmed by the union tool-- it will be unioning the results of a single select tool with two empty ones. Hope this helps!

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 12.12.24 PM.png

Thanks to this solution for the formula to use in the action tools!

Labels