Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Create Columns based on variable

Pokayoke
6 - Meteoroid

Hi there--Alteryx Beginner here with a process improvement question.

Here's my scenario--I've got group numbers and personnel assigned to each group.  If there is more than 1 person per group, I want to output them in additional columns.  For example:

Input:

1Bob
2Alice
3Susan
4Bob
5Bob
6Alice
7Susan
8Susan
1Alice
1Susan
8Alice

Output:

GroupPerson 1Person 2Person 3
1BobAliceSusan
2Alice  
3Susan  
4Bob  
5Bob  
6Alice  
7Susan  
8SusanAlice 

I am currently trying to do this with the Tile tool, but it's not very refined.  I get unique tiles, filter on tile sequence and join to add the columns. 

alteryx2.PNG

But it's sloppy because if there are more than 2 names, I have to do multiple joins.  I am wondering if there is a way to make the flow iterate through the potentially changing number of name each week by reading the tile sequence number as a variable to create how ever many columns I need. I feel like there's probably a way to do this with the Formula tool, but I'm not experienced enough with Alteryx to figure it out yet.  (i.e.  If TileSequence = 4, create and populate 4 columns) Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Pokayoke 

Here's a nice simple solution that achieves what you are looking for. Let me know if you have any questions.

Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 15.44.53.png

Pokayoke
6 - Meteoroid

That's awesome.  Exactly what I'm trying to do--and a good introduction to a couple tools I haven't looked at yet, hah! 

Do you know if there's a way to sort the output in a way that the groups with multiple names are at the top?

Labels