Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
ALTER.NEXT:

Join us on Dec 2 for a half-day virtual analytics + data science event!
US & CA customers only

SAVE YOUR SPOT
It's the most wonderful time of the year - Santalytics 2020 is here! This year, Santa's workshop needs the help of the Alteryx Community to help get back on track, so head over to the Group Hub for all the info to get started!

Automating the input of Multiple Named Ranges

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hey,

I know there have been a few threads about reading data from multiple tabs or sheets, however they don't seem to apply to my problem. Could someone please help me.

My Problem:

I have data for 10 states, each on a separate sheet but to go along with them there are inputs for each state, required by my model. The input and the data are in the same spreadsheet.

Let me clarify: e.g. I have some data about Pennsylvania but I also have another sheet which has inputs such as Date Created, Number of Counties, Area in Square Miles. 

So each state has their own inputs sheet which is needed for the model to run. [Note: the sheets aren't of the same form or dimensions or structure]

What I want to do is to input both sheets simultaneously and then repeat this process for the other 10 states.

Currently I have to do two separate inputs  (one for assumptions and one for the data) and then change both directories for the other 9 spreadsheets for the remaining states.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @r00p5,

A sample of a couple of sheets would be very handy to quickly mock up a sample workflow, but the process is simple enough.

You can use an input tool (bring in Filename as well) to get a list of sheets, then a filter tool to split between the data/inputs sheets based on name. Then put each through a Dynamic Input tool. This will bring in all the data on 2 streams, it's then about how you combine each of those to put the inputs into the data...

Kane

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Hey @KaneG

Thanks for your attempt. The first part, inputting the list of sheets and then filtering between them, makes sense. 

However I'm confused as to how the dynamic input tool comes into play.

As far as I understand, I will need to change the input data source template for each separate state I run the code for, given that they aren't all in the same format.

The aim is for this process to run through all 10 spreadsheets, with each spreadsheet holding a state's data and inputs.

I am unsure how to remove the need for changing the template in the dynamic input tool between each state's spreadsheet run.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Labels