Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Analytic App/Wizard - Change DB Query in Input Data tool based on Data in provided file

tom-intalytics
5 - Atom

I have created an Analytic App/Wizard to process data.  The User provides 3 files using Browse tools.  Currently, the User also selects from a drop-down a database table to compare the data to. I realized that I actually don't need to ask the User to select which table to use, but that I can glean that information based on data in one of the provided files.

Is there a way to use a filter or formula tool to update the Query in the Input Data tool?  I looked at the option to use an Action tool coming off of the Browse tool to update a filed using a Formula, but there was no way to select the appropriate field in the file.  The good news is that the field name and data type will always be the same. All I want to do is test the string length.

2 REPLIES 2
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I use dynamic in-db - which allows you to pass in a connection string and a query (which you can change in another part of the workflow). Your query is also update-able via action tool (but a file-browse tool might not easily give you the syntax you need).

tom-intalytics
5 - Atom

Dynamic Input is the answer.  Does exactly what I was asking.  Thanks, though.

Labels