Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

yet another covid19 workflow

markp2011
5 - Atom

It would be interesting to see all the permutations but here's my entry.   I'm just getting back into alteryx after maybe 8 years working with pentaho (not bad but lacking features).  The challenge was the data source - https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/COVID-19 - which was cumulative and the daily numbers are much more interesting.  After refreshing my alteryx knowledge I found Multi-row formula which replaced 3-4 steps.

Step 1 - get the data from github.

markp2011_0-1622679736547.png

Step 2 - combine all 5 files, columns to rows, sort and create daily counts

markp2011_1-1622679825872.png

I've done this now in Power Query, Pentaho and Alteryx.  For me, the latter is the most elegant with Power Query (m-code) a very close second place.

Now on to the fun part - visuals.  Maybe tableau this time.

3 REPLIES 3
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I like it. Interesting to see former Pentaho user migrating to Alteryx. These people usually have a strong background in IT and they think Alteryx is really limited to ETL processes.

markp2011
5 - Atom

Thanks - fun to be back here.  We were using the (free) community edition of pentaho which I totally understand from a business cost but I've had a better experience with commercial software (alteryx, ssis, etc).  Concentrating on features in alteryx I only touched on prior - macro, reporting/visualization and automation.

markp2011
5 - Atom

FYI - forgot about dynamic data fields in the transpose step.  Attachment updated.

Labels