Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

XLSB File Type

bmturek
7 - Meteor

I am trying to read from an XLSB Excel File.

I am using Alteryx Version 2019.4.

I have the MS Access 2016 Database Engine Installed.

When I add an input, I can see "Microsoft Excel Binary XLSB" as a Supported File Type, but when I get to the Window to then select the File, there is not  anoption for XLSB.  If I choose All Files to see and choose the XLSB files, Alteryx does not like it.

I have seen in other posts the reference to installing the MS Access 2010 Database Engine, but I would think the 2016 should allow the same.

Any thoughts or ideas here?  Thanks much.

7 REPLIES 7
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You'll need to make sure that you have the correct Access driver installed as specified in the Supported Data Sources page within Help section. Can you try downloading this and see if it works? Let me know!

bmturek
7 - Meteor

Thanks, yeah, I had the 2016 DB Engine installed, and after I also installed the 2010 Version, I was able to have XLSB as in input.

In my Configuration for XLSB Input File, I do not have the Option for "Start Data Input on Line" like I do for other Excel File Types.

Is this a limitation with XLSB files for some reason?  Thanks.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, there are limitations with "start import on line" with certain input file types.

If you need to exclude headers, you can use the Sample tool to skip the first couple of lines until you get to your headers. From there, you can use the dynamic rename tool to move the first line to your headers. 

Hope this helps!

bmturek
7 - Meteor

Thanks again for the response.

I messed with the Sample, but then just deleted the first (unneeded) row in the XLSB and Fields get read correctly with the input.

However, there are 217k Rows in the XLSB, but Alteryx Input only brings in 86665 rows. 

Any thoughts on this particular behavior?  Thanks.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to post a screenshot?

The workflow may only be showing partial results for memory reasons. See below for an example.

echuong1_1-1594830917100.png

If your issue is resolved, please mark this thread as complete so others are able to find answers more easily. Thanks!

khushb373
5 - Atom

Hello Team,

I am also facing similar issue, please advise on how to get this resolved

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @khushb373 

You could try to convert the .xlsb file into a .xlsx file with this macro. Here it works fine.

Convert .xlsb into .xlsx and parse the input - Alteryx Community

Labels