Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Write 20 rows in first run and next 20 in second run and so on

Jules22
5 - Atom

I have a wokflow that appends the first 20 rows of input file to output file. I want that in  second run it writes the 21st t 40th row and so on 

4 REPLIES 4
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

You would need an iterative/batch macro, and use the select records tools

ScottLewis
9 - Comet

The core of this problem is that you want a value to be different each time the workflow is run.

One way to do this is to store the value you want to change in an external file. Read in a value, use it in the workflow, write out an updated value to the same file at the end. In this case, the value could either be 1,2,3... or 1,21,41... depending on how you want to write the underlying logic. For complex workflows, we will associate a control file with one workflow or set of related workflows to hold things like this. 

griffinwelsh
10 - Fireball

This workflow will work assuming you have a unique key for each record. It checks to see what is in the output file to filter out what has already been written and then writes the 20 highest rows to the output.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you would need to read in the output file each time - get a row count - and use the append method in excel. That would determine which record was previously written. FYI - In terms of performance - I cannot see this being considerably faster than recreating the entire file on each run and I can see this being slower if your file is >100k records.

Labels