Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Why is it so hard to convert date formats?

CDIns
8 - Asteroid

I always run into this issue converting date formats. Maybe im not understanding something. 

My date field is importing to alteryx as int36 data type as YYYY-MM-DD. First I tried to add a formula on to convert it using datetimeformat([Date],"%m/%d/%y") and the format doesn't change. 

Then i tried to add select tool, change to a string format and then use Datetime tool. Selected string to date/time format and selected the format the date is current in yyyy-MM-dd but now how do i chose what format to convert it to? 

I simply want to change 2024-07-31 to 07/31/2024. 

Please help. 

Thank you, 

13 REPLIES 13
binuacs
21 - Polaris

@CDIns 

image.png

CDIns
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @apathetichell . I also have dates importing as INT32 in the 07/31/2024 but the below formula isnt converted them to 2024-07-31. Is there a separate formula needed for this? 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey - your problem isn't Alteryx dates - your problem is date formats in your source document are intermingled. So in your case- you should do something like

if left(tostring([datefield]),1) in ("0","1") then datetimeparse([datefield],"%m%d%Y") else datetimeparse([datefield],"%Y%m%d") endif -

if you have both m/d/Y and d/m/Y - that's stupid. It's a data issue upstream. fix it there. 

cpet13
11 - Bolide

@apathetichell I realize the issue is that that format is how data for my organization is being stored in SQL; that is not the default date format for SQL. Thank you for bringing this up.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels