Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Alteryx: Categorized by multiple words with category "other"

Nesly
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I'm pretty new to Alteryx, so I Have a question..

I have survey results, and I'm trying to categorize replies by some words. You can see the list of words (some) with a key in the photo (mapping key).

mapping Keys.png

In the photo "functions", you can see all the functions that I created.

functions.png

As you can see from the photo "results," it is categorized based on my keywords, and it's perfect.. but I would like to add the option "Other." So, if they replied to the question with something and they aren't categorized in the keys (in the mapping keys), please print "Other."

Results.png

Find Replace.png

So how can I add the category "Other", if they write something that isn't categorized? I don't know if it is possible..

Thank you so much!

5 REPLIES 5
TUSHAR050392
10 - Fireball

Hey @Nesly I am a bit unclear about the ask. Do you want to create a new column Others or update the Null values in Keys columns to Other?

If you want to create a new column, then you can use a formula tool and create a new column - Other and mention the formula - IF ISNULL(Keys_Q77) AND  ISNULL(Keys_Q63) AND  ISNULL(Keys_Q45) THEN 'Other' ELSE Null() ENDIF

If you want to update existing Key columns then use a Multi field formula and select all the key columns and mention formula - IF ISNULL(CurrentField) THEN 'Other' ELSE CurrentField ENDIF

Let me know if this helps

shancmiralles
10 - Fireball

hi! use a join tool first to match the words you have with your data and keys.. then the words that would appear to have no match , use a formula tool to fill the cells with the word  "others".. tho you might want to change the data type for the key column into v_w string. 
hope this helps!
@Nesly 

Nesly
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much!  you anticipated my error with "change into v_w string." too ahah 

OTrieger
12 - Quasar

@Nesly 
You can add a Formula tool after each Find And Replace and with use IF null then Other ELSE Key you will end up with all the items that does not have key with Other.

OTrieger
12 - Quasar

Or with a multi field for formula after the multi join tool, if Null then Other else Current Field, marking all the Key fields

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels