Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

V String currency - adding comma

RWilson
5 - Atom

Hello all

I am very new to Alteryx and I am gradually trying to migrate all our manual reports over. 

My situation is;

In the source data file I have a "Total Overdue" column. This column is set as a V_String. I need it to be a currency column (as in it has a £ in front of the numbers, and has commas and set to 2 decimal places).

So if it says this -  555676.8023

I need it to say this - £555,676.80

At present I have managed to set the V_string length to 15 decimal places to show the correct number of numbers and I have also used a formula to add in the "£" sign at the beginning ("£"+toString([Total Overdue],1,2) 

So it now looks like this - £555676.80

but I cant for the life of me sort out the comma??

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thankyou in advance

8 REPLIES 8
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @RWilson have a look at this article on the Alteryx community "Everything You Need to Know About Currency"

nagakavyasri
12 - Quasar

If you add Comma to the number it becomes String and mathematical operations like sum, diff would not be possible.

RWilson
5 - Atom

Hey JosephSerpis

I've seen this article before but didn't have much luck. I've tried again and copied his steps but it results in the following error message ; 

"The formula resulted in a string but the field is numeric"

Rana_Kareem
9 - Comet

Hi @RWilson ..

Is this what you want ?

ToString.png

RWilson
5 - Atom

Thank you but that hasn't worked either 

KamenRider
10 - Fireball

I suggest to work first the computations for numeric data type and convert it to string type to allow the comma and dollar sign as the final output.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@RWilson based on the fact that you're getting "The formula resulted in a string but the field is numeric" as an error message, when you're making your new field, you'll need to ensure that this is a string data type - in the drop down menu under the expression editor. The error suggests that you have the data type set to numeric and you're trying to create a string within it.

Rana_Kareem
9 - Comet

@RWilson   Could you try this method:

Change the Data Type of the column "Total Overdue" to Double.
and add a new Formula with a new column with V_String data type, containing this expression:

"£" + toString([Total Overdue],2,1)

You can then deselect the unwanted column using Select Tool.

Hope that helps

Labels