Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Using an Edgar API to Pull SEC data Into Alteryx Using the Download Tool

ztriano
7 - Meteor

I want to use SEC's Edgar site's API to pull data into alteryx and i am not sure how to do this.

Specifically, the data i want to pull are the data within the filings that are submitted to the SEC (ex: a company's financial statements).

I found this documentation, but, I am unsure how exactly to use it to pull the filings into alteryx directly for further analysis: SEC.gov | EDGAR Application Programming Interfaces

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @ztriano ,

Attached is a workflow from the Banking and Financial Services starter kit. This workflow is pulling from the site stated in the post. Its an analytic app, so to run it, you will have to click on the wand next to the run button and input the CIK number. If you want to run the workflow normally, there is a CIK number already in there for testing purposes.

Hope this was helpful!

Carli
ztriano
7 - Meteor

Hi @CarliE,

Hope you had a happy holidays and a happy new year. I tried the analytic app you sent and when i put in a CIK number and ran it, it came out blank.

ztriano_0-1641224358751.png

And i also opened the debug of the analytic app and I ran it and i got a whole bunch of forbidden errors. How do I fix this?

ztriano_1-1641224403886.png

Thanks, 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

the debug is telling you that you've exceeded the number of requests that you can make to edgar in a given period of time (threshold exceeded message). I believe Edgar limits you to ten api calls in a given timeframe.

https://www.sec.gov/os/accessing-edgar-data

How many requests are you making?

ztriano
7 - Meteor

I only ran the routine once with only one CIK # (so one request?) Or do you mean something else when you say number of requests?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

All I know is that I'm seeing in the debug Download data you posted. It says the request rate was exceeded. I'd recommend testing in postman and then porting to Alteryx.

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@apathetichell @ztriano 

Scrolling down in the messages a bit more, it seems like the SEC no longer likes gathering data this way. Maybe the download tool needs to be updated to have the user agent info they need, but I'm not familiar with that.

Luke_C_0-1641231260852.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

hardcoded values for user-agent.pngenter your e-mail address in that box and you can download it... Note - still doesn't exactly work with the app but you'll successfully get the download.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you need to go into the macro and add user-agent and your e-mail into the header values in the macro as well.

ztriano
7 - Meteor

@apathetichell That worked in order to get me past the download tool, but now I am getting an error at the XML Parse Macro Embedded in the workflow. 

ztriano_0-1641249088113.png

Labels