Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Using Dynamic In-DB tool Advanced Query

suppahc
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to query a SQL database and am able to query it if I just put the following in query:

db.schema.table

However, when I try to refine this and only pull a few columns, I get a no columns returned error. See below for my query:

Select_Statement:
'SELECT col1, col2, col3, col4 '

Query:
[Select_Statment] + 
'FROM schema.db.table'

What could be my issue? 

8 REPLIES 8
suppahc
7 - Meteor

I just tried quotes around my columns because some do have spaces but that didn't fix the issue.

Hi @suppahc 

Have you tried to remove the quotes around the Select statement?

suppahc
7 - Meteor

How do I do that? It looks like the quote are inherent in the query. The quotes I have in the select statement above are me building the select statement or just typing text into a formula tool. 

The error I'm getting does says "SELECT [col1], [col2] etc FROM db.schema.table" but I'm not explicitly putting those quotations around my statement if that makes sense. 

Paul

EDIT: I checked my connection and I do have the option 5. Table/FieldName SQL Style is set to Quoted.

Could that be the issue?

Hi @suppahc 

I did it as below. I specified the table name in front of the col name and specified the connection name/alias

christine_assaad_0-1655847575849.png

I then added the formula to build the statement. 

christine_assaad_1-1655847651425.png

I then used the Dynamic input in-DB to pass the connection name and query

christine_assaad_2-1655847710597.png

Output

christine_assaad_3-1655847736171.png

Perhaps you need to pass the connection name to be able to query the DB.

suppahc
7 - Meteor

Can you do it without passing [TableNm].[Col1] for all columns? I'm doing this for six different tables that all have the same columns so I was hoping to simply have the following so it can be generalized across the code:

SELECT [col1], [col2], [col3]

FROM db.schema.table

The table name is being built via arguments passed through the program so it'll get very messy and difficult to read if I have to add the table name in front of every column.

I don't think its an issue with my connection because I'm able to pull the tables by simply passing the db.schema.table through the query field and is the equivalent of Select * From db.schema.table.

EDIT:

I just tested it by doing, SELECT [tbl1].[col1] FROM db.schema.tbl1 and still getting the same error.

suppahc
7 - Meteor

Think I found the issue. I think my connection isn't defaulting to quoted.. so when I'm trying to query using in-db dynamic, I need to add quotes as follows for the from statement:

"db"."schema"."table"

Currently testing but wondering if there is a way to default to this option (my dynamic inputs that query this table have option 5 as quoted.

Can you try to put he table name between [] and see if this will work?

suppahc
7 - Meteor

Yes, the [] in place of the "" also work.

Labels