Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Update Specific Value in Query from File Input

sayres
5 - Atom

Hi Folks - I am working on a workflow template that will be reused with a different file inputs and outputs based on each program it is set up for. Right now, each time I build a workflow off of this template, I manually update the values in the WHERE part of the queries to reflect the specific program. I have used the user interface tools to enter the values in the text box that then update the specific values in the query - the problem with this is that the replaced values do not hold when the workflow goes through daily scheduled refreshes. How can I input one file at the time of set up that can be referenced to update the specific values in the query?

Open to any feedback or suggestions.

2 REPLIES 2
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

I think you want to start by looking at the Dynamic Input Tool. This will allow you to update the WHERE clause in a statement. You would setup your query as normal under the input edit at the top. I usually write a statement like this:

where TABLE.FIELD in ('Update', 'This') 

Then when you add the condition it will look something like this. In my example below, the Concat_Material is a concatenated list of all of the materials that will be substituted in my IN clause of the SQL statement. I had used a Summarize tool prior to that. I don't think its necessary that its used, but i had some other issues in my workflow that I needed to add it, in order for it to work properly. 

image.png

sayres
5 - Atom

Thank you! The Dynamic Input Tool was exactly what I needed. One variation to the solution you provided below is that I used the "Replace a specific string" feature. I will be able to use this to update several different criteria in the FROM statement to query as needed. 

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels