Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Unable to lookup empty cells

DouglasEKL
7 - Meteor

I want to create a column “IA Notes” to fill up the information like “Failed, no info” or “OK, with info”.

I was trying to use the Conditional formula to look up the empty cells from the Input Date (2) but it seems not working properly.

I do expect to see the output at Formula (25) – to have new column “IA Notes” and filled up with information like “Failed, no info” or “OK, with info” after confirming the empty cells from the columns of the Input Data (2) like “Description”, “Manager” and “Employeetype”.

I somehow stuck at Formula (25) and need help to check whether the conditional formula I used is correct? Or if I have missed some steps?

6 REPLIES 6
ncrlelia
11 - Bolide

Hi @DouglasEKL,

Based on your screenshot, you are missing a 'THEN' for the 2nd ELSEIF.

Assuming that you have set empty values to zero for all the 3 fields, then you can just add a THEN after the 2nd ELSEIF.

So it will be like '.....ELSEIF [employeetype] = 0 THEN 'Failed, no info' ELSE 'OK, with info' ENDIF'

If you like you can use OR operator to shorten the formula to the following:

IF [Description] = 0 OR [manager] = 0 OR [employee] = 0 

THEN 'Failed, no info'

ELSE 'OK, with info'

ENDIF

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lelia

DouglasEKL
7 - Meteor

Unfortunately the formula seems not working. 

Please note the fields I am referring to are empty as highlighted below ‘Description’, ‘Manager’ and ‘employeetype’.Please see attached doc. 

Thank you.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

you are testing if strings are equal to 0 (the number). You want to use the test isempty([description]) to test if is null/empty. You need to include the elseif as @ncrlelia correctly pointed out - but Alteryx won't let you even get that far because of the string comparing to number issue.

Also - please please please don't post pictures in word files. Most of us would prefer actual data/workflow or at the very lease screen grabs and lots of them - showing configuration settings on the problem tools.

DouglasEKL
7 - Meteor

Thank you for your reply.

I have posted the worklfow in my first submission therefore i posted the excel picture in my second submission.

I will look into both advice from @apathetichell and @ncrlelia and continue to work around. 

DouglasEKL
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much @apathetichell and @ncrlelia i managed to get the result/output i want. It works fine with the formula below:

IF IsEmpty([Description]) THEN 'Failed, no info' ELSEIF IsEmpty([manager]) THEN 'Failed, no info' ELSEIF IsEmpty([employeetype]) THEN 'Failed, no infor' ELSE 'OK' ENDIF

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Good to hear - can you make sure to mark our answers as solutions? Thanks!

Labels