Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Unable to Read File Using Dynamic Input

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

So I have the following part of a flow:

shaheer_0-1665516026463.png

I want to retrieve the most recently added file in a specific folder, as shown by the first three tools. The files will always have the same name except for being ordered at the start and including the date of upload (so 1. [filename][date], 2. [filename][date] etc). 

This is what my dynamic input looks like:

shaheer_1-1665516355011.png

The file name comes after the very last '\'. I was told in several tutorials and videos to include a template file? I was not sure what this was, so I just used the current most recent file in the folder. Before, I was facing no issues when running this flow. A few days later I got the read only error. 

Any ideas on what to do? Thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4
CarliE
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@shaheer what file type are you bringing in?

if its an excel file, make sure to provide the sheet name in the full path -- example

C:\Users\Carli\Test.xlsx --> C:\Users\Carli\Test.xlsx|||`Sheet1$`

The template provides what the schema should be so if the schema changes, it could break (different field names / more fields than the template file) -- if thats the case, a macro would be a better solution

If this helped to solve your issue, make sure to mark it as a solution

Carli
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@shaheer , I usually get this error when the file is open in some other application or being used by some process. Please check if file is being used somewhere else.

Sapna Gupta
shaheer
8 - Asteroid

It is an excel file. I am unable to type at the end of the file, it only lets me select through the edit button, from where I can choose the file but not specify the sheet name like you showed. 

shaheer_0-1665587240350.png

shaheer
8 - Asteroid

The file is not being used elsewhere.

Labels