Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Trouble with joining multiple inputs

WishIKnewHowToCode
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have 3 files that I need to join together by Account Number. Each file has different fields that I need. The image attached is the output I'm getting, but I want the joined account numbers to all be on the same line. So it should go something like

Account Number > Input 1 Field 1, 2, 3, etc > Input 2 Field 1,2,3,etc > Input 3 Field 1,2,3,etc. There should not be line breaks like there are below. 

WishIKnewHowToCode_0-1683933760794.png

Due to the nature of my work I can't provide my specific example as it's all confidential. But basically 3 files, all have the same account numbers, I want them to all join together on one row, not stagger like they are currently doing. What am I doing wrong?

I'm using a Join Multiple tool to bring these files together by account number.

9 REPLIES 9
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@WishIKnewHowToCode 

Without data or workflow which is causing an issue, it is difficult to guest what's causing the issue.

(That said, at a first glance, your output looks like the output of Union tool, rather than Join Multiple tool.)

Can you share the following screenshots?

• workflow where you see the issue
  • configuration of Join Multiple tool
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@WishIKnewHowToCode 

this result of your print I was only able to arrive using the union tool with this configuration

geraldo_0-1683949330922.png

WishIKnewHowToCode
8 - Asteroid

I am absolutely not using a union tool to arrive at that result. I promise it's a join multiple. Again, I cannot share my actual files, they are patient data files. I am sure no one wants me putting their private information out there. I can only provide dummy info

WishIKnewHowToCode
8 - Asteroid

WishIKnewHowToCode_1-1684161409586.png

It's a bit cryptic but you can see I have 3 inputs going to a join multiple. Apologies I can't screenshot file names or outputs names either because that has client info. But that's what my workflow is. 3 inputs, join multiple based on patient account number. Ignore the fact that it says missing fields, I disconnected the tool last week and tried a union AFTER making the initial post to see if a union would work better.

WishIKnewHowToCode_2-1684161503215.png

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@WishIKnewHowToCode 

Well, the keys not being equal or not having relationships between input _1, input_2 and input _3 gives the result you are having in your join multiple tool

see the print

Check if the keys are related. There is something wrong with the keys......

geraldo_0-1684166090879.png

WishIKnewHowToCode
8 - Asteroid

Can you elaborate on what "keys" are?

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@WishIKnewHowToCode 

As you can't send real data or similar I'm trying to simulate some data.
These are the keys to relationships

geraldo_0-1684210264468.png

There are no relationships between the 3 tables

The result that you are having in the join multiple tool is due to the fact that there is no correspondence, for example, the number 10 in the 3 tables, so this is empty and according to the increasing order of the numbers in each table, the tool will fit the order of the number in each input table .

When it exists in the 3 inputs the result is this

geraldo_0-1684211377187.png

WishIKnewHowToCode
8 - Asteroid

Yep, you are correct. I was not filtering my output to find the rows that had matches essentially. I was under the impression that the join would eliminate data that did not match based on the account numbers. So basically I misread my output. Thank you for helping me come to this realization!

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@WishIKnewHowToCode 

If you configure this option, it will only allow records that match all inputs

geraldo_0-1684251630777.png

Labels