Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Tile tool- Equal Records Method- How to dynamically update Number of Tiles?

gcosta
7 - Meteor

Hi guys, good morning.

Looking for some advices here. I am using the Equal records tile method to group my dataset. Perfect! However, the number of tiles in this process changes every once in a while.

So, instead of having to manually change this value in the tool, is there a way that I can dynamically update this value using i.e. the count of records tool which contain the number of tiles that I would like to group my dataset every time I am running the process. 

Really simple example attached.

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @gcosta 

Turn it into a macro and feed the number of tiles you need in to it as a control parameter:

DavidSkaife_0-1662019888767.png

DavidSkaife_1-1662019927787.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Great suggestion from @DavidSkaife! Only thing I'd add is, especially if this is going to be applied to a large data set, you may just want to use a Summarize tool with a count (or count Distinct depending on requirement) rather than Count Records as the latter is also a macro itself and will lead to decreased performance at scale.

gcosta
7 - Meteor

Thank you so much @DavidSkaife. That makes a lot of sense.

Yes, I agree with you, @DataNath  I will make sure to change that in the workflow  as well.

Thank you again!!

gcosta
7 - Meteor

@DavidSkaife, could you please share your workflow? 

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

@gcosta

Edit: d'oh i attached the wrong one....sorry! Here is the right one

Labels