Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Text Box and Action tools not updating formula tool. Parsing error.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hello All!

Having trouble with those tools. For some reason it's giving me a parsing error.

Joker_Hazard_0-1624630438087.png

Joker_Hazard_1-1624630456099.png

Joker_Hazard_2-1624630470154.png

Joker_Hazard_3-1624630597999.png

I tried changing the format of this field for: V_W_String; V_String; 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Can you post the replace string configuration on your action tool? Most likely you are trying to put a value into a call to a variable instead of the variable itself- the easiest way to avoid this is to have your formula tool point to a dummy value (ie 1) and then have your action update the dummy value.  You want to match value to value or variable to variable (and if you are matching variables your action tool isn't set up right)... Your error message points to trying to put a value where it's looking for a recognized field name. you  want the value "Testing" there - but it's looking for [Testing] - which doesn't exisist.

Hope that's clear - so in summary - put 1 in your formula tool and point to 1. If that doesn't work - then show the lower part of your action tool.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Hello Apathetic.

It makes sense but as far as I know my configuration is correct:

Joker_Hazard_0-1624637634398.png

My goal is to update this field with any type of string value. Could be "Testing", "Alteryx" or even a number.  

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Your problem is you are trying to replace a field ([Nome...) with a string, so it isn't reading it as "testing" - it's reading it as [testing] which is an error. put a string in your macro as the value (ie. "1") and have your action tool point to updating that value (ie "1")

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Apathetic,

I tried all configs but none of them did work for me. I'm sorry... I'm uploading the workflow if you don't mind to show me what i'm missing.

Thank you very much for the extra help

apathetichell
19 - Altair

This version fixes those problems... NOTE: you are using a text box to update numbers. I set it to tonumber() the value coming in from the question - but you should be using a numeric up-down.

Joker_Hazard
11 - Bolide

Thanks for the solution and for the hint 🙂

Labels