Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Table output to specific location

catmar
7 - Meteor

I have a dataset that I need to export to Excel and optionally PDF. The output location is in a column. 
The data header needs to have a blue background with white bold text. What is the best way to go do this? 

I am trying to use the table tool for formatting and the render tool for output. I currently get an error that the output file is not supported format. 

4 REPLIES 4
rzdodson
12 - Quasar

@catmar it could honestly be a number of things. If you are creating a dynamic output path, and that path extension is not a supported format within the Render tool, it will error out. If you forget an extension path all together, it will error. Would you be able to share the workflow to help troubleshoot for you?

As for formatting a header, I am assuming you are talking about the Table tool, you can create a Row Rule, change your Apply settings to "When", "==", and "1" in those options, and it'll apply to just the header. 

catmar
7 - Meteor

Hi - Attached I am including a basic example workflow and desired example Excel output. How can I update the workflow to get the desire Excel output with a colored background for the header, white font for the header, and specific font of the body?

peterr_h
8 - Asteroid

This may not answer your question, but, one solution that I've used in the past is:

1. Create 'blank' Excel spreadsheet in desired location which has the correct formatting but no data.

2. Set output to this file's location.

3. Set output method to 'overwrite'.

4. Select 'preserve formatting' option in output tool.

This will, obviously, overwrite whatever is in the file each time you run the workflow, but the format will be correct.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but it could be of some use.

catmar
7 - Meteor

Thank you @peterr_h for the suggestion. I thought about this, but ideally I want to keep all versions without having to rename/resave.

Another option might be using a template with the blob tools. For some reason, I believe this is taking the difficult route and Alteryx might support formatting within workflow before exporting to a dynamic Excel path. 

Labels