Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Subtract most Recent Non-Zero Value from next Most Recent Non-Zero Value

briankuhlmann
8 - Asteroid

briankuhlmann_0-1681487659303.png

In a perfect scenario, I have a value in both column 12 and column 11. I would need simple [12]-[11] formula.

The issue is, sometimes there isnt a value in 11. For instance if I have a value in [12] and 0.00 in [11],[10],[9], then a non 0 value in [8], I would need to do [12]-[8]

Is there a formula I could use to detect the next non 0 value in columns? Also if [12] is a 0.00 I would require no actions

3 REPLIES 3
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @briankuhlmann, without writing a massive Formula out that is full of hard-coding, here's my initial thoughts on this. I've just drafted up a quick example in the absence of sample data, using fields 1-5.

1) Transpose the data, grouping on [Code] - in your data this is the [SUPPLIER_ITEM_NUMBER]

2) Filter out 0 values

3) Sample for the last 2 records for each [Code]/[SUPPLIER_ITEM_NUMBER], taking the last 2 records from each to get your X - Y values

4) Use a Multi-Row Formula to take the 2nd from last non-0 value from the last non-0 value

5) The Multi-Row Formula will produce one null record and one actual result so we just use a Summarize to take the Maximum of these for each [Code]/[SUPPLIER_ITEM_NUMBER]

6) Join back to the main data set on [Code]/[SUPPLIER_ITEM_NUMBER]

7) Use one final Formula to say that if the last field ([5] in my example) is 0 then just keep it as 0, otherwise use the result we have calculated

Hope this helps - do let us know if not!

DataNath_0-1681489009690.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Here's how I'd do it. Similar approach to @DataNath 

PhilipMannering_0-1681489422146.png

briankuhlmann
8 - Asteroid

Thank you everyone, worked like a charm.

Labels