Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

String data, right truncation

jxkang1
5 - Atom

Hello, 
I am writing data into Azure SQL using Bulk Upload (ssvb). 

Alteryx Setup.PNG

I am getting an error message on the output tool 

Alteryx Error.PNG

Strange thing is that if I just use regular ODBC, it doesn't give me the error and writes the data into database fine.

Any idea why this happens to only Bulk Upload? 

I am using Alteryx Version 2022.1.1

I checked the size of data and size limit on SQL database.

All columns are within the size limit.

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think this is one for the Alteryx Support team to help you with. Have you sent a ticket to them?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

A few things you can check:

1. Field Size Mismatch:

• Ensure that the field sizes in your Alteryx workflow match the corresponding column sizes in your Azure SQL Server table. If the Bulk Upload tool is configured to use a different field size, it may lead to truncation issues.
  2. Data Type Mismatch:

• Verify that the data types of the fields in your Alteryx workflow match the data types of the corresponding columns in your Azure SQL Server table. If there is a mismatch, the Bulk Upload tool might not handle it correctly.
  3. Column Order:

• Check the order of the columns in your Bulk Upload tool and make sure they match the order of the columns in your Azure SQL Server table. A mismatch in column order can result in data being written to the wrong columns.
  4. Bulk Upload Configuration:

• Double-check the configuration settings of the Bulk Upload tool. Ensure that the settings (e.g., batch size, commit size, etc.) are appropriate for your data and environment.
  5. Driver Version:

• Verify that you are using the latest ODBC driver for SQL Server. Sometimes, issues with data truncation can be related to the version of the ODBC driver being used.
  6. Logging:

• Enable detailed logging in the Bulk Upload tool to capture more information about the error. This might provide additional insights into why the truncation is happening.
  7. Test with Sample Data:

• Create a small sample dataset with a few rows and test it with the Bulk Upload tool. This can help you identify if the issue is related to specific data values.
Labels