Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Special Welsh Character in Source Data

EleanorJarvis
5 - Atom

Hi,

I have a data source (csv) containing Welsh place names. Alteryx won't recognise the character ŵ (ASCII 0175).

I need to retain this character through to the output. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Eleanor

4 REPLIES 4
vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@EleanorJarvis — When you import data from CSV to the Input tool, then use a Select tool and check what is the data type for that particular field. Try to keep "V_WString" data type although it is a string but works with these kind of characters (Arabic, Chinese, etc.) and test your workflow:

vizAlter_0-1601301029709.png

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Are you able to post a sample of your data file?

I tried replicating your error and created a csv with that character and did not have issues importing the character. You may have to adjust your code-page. I used ISO 8859-1 latin but you may have to adjust it for your data.

echuong1_1-1601301231607.png

EleanorJarvis
5 - Atom

Thanks for your help, it turns out it wasn't Alteryx that was losing the character, but Excel when I saved as a csv. I tried saving the file as a Unicode Text instead, and the issue was resolved. Thanks for your help.

vizAlter
12 - Quasar

@EleanorJarvis — Thank you! 🙂

Labels