Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Solved: Adding file name as column later in workflow

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

I would like to add a column with the file name from a particular input earlier in my workflow to this (see screenshot attached). Is this possible?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @furlonla,

When using a data input tool you can choose the output file name as: File name.

Please see example attached. 

Emil_Kos_0-1603182055536.png

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@furlonla 
Just to add to the solution to @Emil_Kos , after getting file information, an Append Field tool can joint the information together.1020-furlonla.PNG

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I have done that. However, as I use the union tool and then summarise data. I have been unable to bring this column in as it won't summairse the data how I want it. See screenshot of what I am currently getting. Column fund code is the file name that I want. Let me know if this isn't clear.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Qiu,

Good point. 

I wonder @furlonla why you wanted to add this later in the workflow? It isn't acceptable for you to add it at the beginning? 

EDIT: In this case, @Qiu appending solution should work for you @furlonla 

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Hey @Emil_Kos @Qiu 

The append fields is creating duplicates, when I add it to the tool before the union tool. When I add it to the original input I'm receiving an error that there are more than 16, there are more than 16 records in the source. 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @furlonla,

If you will use summarize to have only file name(1 column and 1 row) you will be able to use append fields without creating duplicates. 

furlonla
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a mill - that worked! I summarised by the file name then filtered out the null results and the used the append tool!

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@furlonla 
Select Allow All Appends can resolve that issue of Append Tool.
Appreciate you could mark it as acceped if it works for you.

aa.png

Labels