Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Similar tool to "select" to modify entries in rows (not headers)

omar_velor
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any tool similar to "select", which would display a table with the unique values in a column and then would allow to rename them?

What I want to achieve is something similar to this:

Considering a simple table,

Number Code
1A
2B
3C
4D

A will be transformed to UK, B to FR, C to BE, and D to CZ,

Number Code
1UK
2FR
3BE
4CZ

I know this can be achieved with a formula block, but in my original data I have to do >150 conversions, and using formulas does not seem too efficient. 

I am also thinking about some sort of lookup table, but that would require firstly the construction of that lookup table, which does not seem too efficient either.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Find and Replace could do this if you have a reference table on what the ABCD codes are supposed to be. 

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@omar_velor 

fORMULA:
Switch([Code],Null(),'A','UK','B','FR','C','BE','D','CZ')

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@omar_velor if this is a one off, then I would use a summarise tool to generate the unique list of value pairs. You can then copy this into a text input (or excel file if you wish to retain it) and then update the new names there. The interface of a text input is about as close to what you're after.

You can then use this lookup to either join or use a find and replace tool to update your original data - Find and replace is more performant, but only works with string fields and on single 'find' column. Join tools are more flexible, so it depends on your use case.

Hope that helps,

Ollie

omar_velor
7 - Meteor

Everyone has suggested great solutions, but yours answers exactly my question!

The Text Input is quite useful since more people will be looking at the workflow and different options (columns) can be added by each user.

Really appreciate it

Labels