Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Seeking Solutions for Handling Large JSON String Outputs in Python Tool

Gregory_John
5 - Atom

Hello Alteryx Community, 

I am currently facing a challenge with the Python tool in Alteryx and would appreciate any insights or solutions you might have. My workflow involves processing API responses that return large JSON objects. I'm using the Python tool to handle these responses, but im encountering issues with the output truncation of these JSON strings. 

Issue Description: 

• When I use a pandas DataFrame (pd.DataFrame(endpoint_response.json())) to manage the data from the API responses, the JSON strings in a specific column ('value') are quite large.
  • upon outputting this DataFrame using the Python tool (Alteryx.write(df,1)), the JSON strings seem to be truncated, presumably due to a character limit in the Python tool's output. The truncation appears to occur around 256 characters, which is insufficient for my data. 
  • This truncation prevents me from properly parsing and utilizing the JSON data in subsequent steps of my workflow. 

Attempts to Resolve: 

• I have tried converting the JSON strings to a Blob data type within the Python script before outputting, but I faced difficulties due to the implicit environment of the Python tool where direct AlteryxPythonSDK imports aren't used. 
  • Outputting the data to external text files then reading it back into Alteryx is a potential workaround, but it adds complexity I would rather avoid and may not be ideal for my use case. 

Any advice, tips, or solutions would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for a streamlined method to manage these large JSON object objects within Alteryx without resorting to external file handling if possible. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Are you sure that the actual strings are being truncated or it is just the output anchor of the Python tool? If you add a browse tool to the #1 anchor of the Python tool you should be able to confirm whether or not it is actually being truncated because a Browse tool will show you the complete string. Alteryx should have no issues dealing with strings and certainly can handle much more than 256 characters. Either the data is actually making it through and the anchor is only showing you a snippet, or your step in the creation of the dataframe in Python needs to be adjusted. 

Gregory_John
5 - Atom

So I mistakenly assumed that the data was being truncated in the browse tool when I first tried to troubleshoot that way, because it does come up with the little red triangle with an error/warning about something, but I had assumed that it was also a truncation issue. After I read your comment, I checked and it was actually coming over as the full string, but the error was "field has > 256 characters". The actual issue I was facing was that the object I was outputting was actually a dictionary and not the json string, so the json parse tool couldn't do anything with it. I solved the issue by using the jason.dump to convert the json object to a string that could then be parsed. I appreciate your response! 

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Glad to help! I've done the same thing multiple times so you aren't alone. 

Labels