Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Scheduled Run

Dittau
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

How do you perform a scheduled run In Alteryx that only run’s certain tools.

ex: i want to run a certain flow in the canvas every morning and not worry about other flows that send emails - i will run those flows later in the day (ideally the scheduled run allows me to collapse containers) then when i open the canvas i trigger manually in the afternoon that scheduled can as in the morning is now collapsed and vice versa

Scenario A scheduled morning run:

flow A- run in morning 

flow B-colllapsed, dont run

flow see - collapsed, dont run

scenario B - afternoon run (manual trigger)

flow a- collapsed

flow b- run

flow see-run

4 REPLIES 4
Shifty
12 - Quasar

Hi @Dittau - sorry to answer a question with another question 😋 but do you have access to Alteryx Server or Desktop Scheduler?  You'll need access to one of them to schedule workflows to run automatically.  

You can see more details here: https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/schedule-workflows

Let me know if that helps.

Shift

Dittau
8 - Asteroid

Yes both, but is there a way to disable certain outputs in a scheduled run? I’ve never done a scheduled run before so curious how that works.

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @Dittau ,

So you have both Alteryx Server and Desktop Scheduler.

In either case, I would separate the flows in two files according to the trigger style (automated and manual).

1. Separate the 3 flows into 2 files (FlowA.yxmd and FlowBC.yxmd).

2. Put FlowA.yxmd to the scheduler to run in the morning.

3. Run FlowBC.yxmd manulally in the afternoon.

If there is any reason you cannot do this way, please let me know.

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @Dittau 

I am sharing with you this idea for you to test, I never implemented it when I had the opportunity, it should work nevertheless, it may work by implementing Chaining Analytic Apps, the idea is for the parent application to ask a simple question: "Do you want to send email?" and pass the answer to the question down to the Child Workflow; the Child Workflow uses this parameter to decide on sending or not the email.

Visually, it is something like this:

Parent-Child-email-use-case-01.png

The Child Workflow is your current workflow sending the email, you have to build the Parent Workflow, chaining them to achieve what you want.

This Community topic give you ideas in line with your question: How to pass parameters between workflows 

Hope this helps,

Arnaldo

Labels