Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SQL statement with Date variable

CaroleBPRI
5 - Atom
Hello Community,
Being a beginner on Alteryx, here I am faced with my first real problem.
I have in INPUT several SQL queries that use date fields in the WHERE clause. Each time, I have to enter a where clause with date between 'StartDate' and 'EndDate'. So there are two parameters in each queries. Always the same.
I first tried the "Dynamic input" with the "Modify SQL Query" + Add "replace a specific string" Text To Replace: 'StartDate' Replacement Field '2022-01-01' + Add "replace a specific string" Text To Replace: 'EndDate' Replacement Field '2022-12-31'
=> Resulting in the following error message: Error: Input Data (8): Error SQLPrepare: [Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver][Teradata Database] A character string failed conversion to a numeric value. I also tried with the Action tool, with no more success. Thank you in advance for your help!

1 REPLY 1
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @CaroleBPRI 

Implementing Date filters from clients (like Alteryx) are challenging at the begining, for example, the query below:

SELECT * FROM Customer WHERE Last_Payment_Date = <expression>

We usually construct this query like this:

SELECT * FROM Customer WHERE Last_Payment_Date BETWEEN '2023-07-01' AND '2023-07-31'

The problem is most cases is that Last_Payment_Date is usually a DataBase engine Date or DateTime type and we are trying to compare it with an string, It will fail, some ways to handle these scenarios are convert the Last_Payment_Date to string, using the DataBase engine function to do so, or the other way around convert our string dates ('2023-07-01') to a database date using the corresponding function.

I found the function CAST is the one we should use to convert a date field to string Teradata Date Format and Time Values: Common Questions Answered or from the same article, TO_DATE could be use to convert our string dates to the engine dates.

Some warnings:

• This technique works with any database engine as long as we implement the appropiated function.
  • If we convert a Date-DateTime field to string, we exclude any index the field may have, e.g. the query will perform slower.

Hope this helps,

Arnaldo

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels