Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Hangs the Workflow

King
5 - Atom

I'm using the "run command" tool to SSH into a remote linux machine hosting a database I wish to work from in Alteryx. I wish to automate this login process so that I don't need to do so manually each time I run the workflow.

Whilst the run command works and successful opens the connection to the remote machine, the workflow pauses and will not process downstream until I close the window which was opened by the run command tool.

I am passing the command  

putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

Is there a way to prevent the run command tool hanging the workflow in this way?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I've seen many people create a BAT file then run that.

Here's an example, writing the BAT file to the %temp% folder:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Move-jpeg-files-to-different-folder-de...

Chris

King
5 - Atom

Thanks, I should have clarified the configuration I am using. I've set this up to write a batch file an execute this. The file runs okay, the SSH terminal window opens and connects then the workflow is just stuck "running" until I close this:

Untitled.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you share your BAT file?  Can you run the BAT file OK manually?  Is the last line Quit?

Here's another example:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-a-file-to-FTP-with-the-Run-C...

Chris

King
5 - Atom

Hi Chris, 

The batch file just contained the string:

putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

However, from following various chains from the posts you directed me to I found a solution. I changed the command string to: 

start putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

Adding "start" seems to open the terminal and close the original command window and return to the workflow 🙂 

Regards,

Charles. 

Labels