Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Run Command Hangs the Workflow

King
5 - Atom

I'm using the "run command" tool to SSH into a remote linux machine hosting a database I wish to work from in Alteryx. I wish to automate this login process so that I don't need to do so manually each time I run the workflow.

Whilst the run command works and successful opens the connection to the remote machine, the workflow pauses and will not process downstream until I close the window which was opened by the run command tool.

I am passing the command  

putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

Is there a way to prevent the run command tool hanging the workflow in this way?

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

I've seen many people create a BAT file then run that.

Here's an example, writing the BAT file to the %temp% folder:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Move-jpeg-files-to-different-folder-de...

Chris

King
5 - Atom

Thanks, I should have clarified the configuration I am using. I've set this up to write a batch file an execute this. The file runs okay, the SSH terminal window opens and connects then the workflow is just stuck "running" until I close this:

Untitled.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you share your BAT file?  Can you run the BAT file OK manually?  Is the last line Quit?

Here's another example:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Upload-a-file-to-FTP-with-the-Run-C...

Chris

King
5 - Atom

Hi Chris, 

The batch file just contained the string:

putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

However, from following various chains from the posts you directed me to I found a solution. I changed the command string to: 

start putty -load "mysession" -pw mypassword 

Adding "start" seems to open the terminal and close the original command window and return to the workflow 🙂 

Regards,

Charles. 

Labels