Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Restore previous user settings from older version

alexg1
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

This is a minor thing, but I recently upgraded from Designer 2021.4 to 2022.3. For the last several years I've had the canvas set up with custom color schemes because the default white strains my eyes when I work on a workflow for extended periods of time (Like the world's most painful 'Day-Mode').

Is there any way to locate the previous install's RGB settings? It retained them when I upgraded between 2018/19 >2020 > 2021. If not I can try to redo it manually, but I'd love to get the exact values if I can.

5 REPLIES 5
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @alexg1 

So from what i can find your Custom Colours can be found using the Registry Editor; navigate to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SRC\SrcLib_Dll\CustomColors and if they have been retained they should be there.

I suspect that if they are not then they will have been overwritten by the upgrade, but, i'd have thought it would keep settings - has anything else reset?

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @alexg1 

Can you try copying the UserSettings.xml file from the following directory : 

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Alteryx\Engine and placing it in the latest folder version of Alteryx Designer?

Hope this helps. 

alexg1
8 - Asteroid

Other things that have reset so far appear to be other cosmetic settings for the canvas. The other respondent to this thread gave me a solution that did not require going into the registry editor, but if there are any functional changes I will bear your suggestion in mind in case I need to reach out to our IT department. Thank you for your feedback!

alexg1
8 - Asteroid

Pan, that was perfect! I found the exact settings I needed in the XML file. I was afraid to copy it wholesale, but I was able to use what I found to make the changes from Designer's setting menu. Thank you so much, this is going to add years to my eyesight!

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@alexg1 

I am glad we were able to resolve the issue!

I would recommend making a back up of this xml file incase you ever need to use it again.

Labels