Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Report Text Tool - Create a link to another email address INSIDE the body of an email

DanielG
12 - Quasar

Hi all,

I am completing drawing a blank on this one and I can't figure out a good way to write my Google search to find answers because it brings back the anything to do with email tool which is not my current concern...  🙂

I need to create an email body with Report Text Tool that has a note at the bottom saying sothing like "if you have any further questions, please reach out to Another Department."

I want to link "Another Department" so it opens up a blank email to that group, versus hyperlinking to a website.

What is the syntax I need to use in the linkage to get it to work the way I want it.  Or is it not possible?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

@DanielG In the Report Text tool, if you click on the icon that looks like two chain links, it'll open a pop-up. You can tell it what you want to display and then use this link to create your mailto email link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/add-a-return-email-mailto-link-in-a-message-86cea017-8f4e...

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@Prometheus -- thanks.  I had tried that, but I must have done something wrong.  I will give it another go.  Thanks!!!

DanielG
12 - Quasar

The Link functionality built into the text tools is for true URLs (as far as I can tell).  I have tried various syntax on it, but it will not open a blank email to the specifically referenced email address.

I ended up just adding "<mailto:example@example.com>" as a field then placed it into the body of the email with the field picker, [FieldName:A]

It comes out as a link which opens up the email, however the link isnt masked because I dont think it can write rich text/HTML.

Oh well.  It will work but its just not the prettiest looking email I have seen.  :)

sathyar
8 - Asteroid

In the formula tool add the new field as another department and  enter the web address there. Followed by that add report text tool under available fields select another department then when you trigger the email , recipents will get the email like the email body message followed by website added.

reporttool.pngIf this works please mark this as accepted solution .Added the snap for your reference.

DanielG
12 - Quasar

@sathyar  - thanks.  That is what I have built but I cant get it to mask the "mailto" portion.

I have a formula that I built with this in it:  '<mailto:test@example.com>'.  I add it with the Report Text Tool into the body of the email, but it shows like this in the output: "Please reach out to Another Department <mailto:test@example.com>".  The "mailto" link works, but is literally just shown next to the name of the department.  It just looks clunky and I was hoping for a more sleek output.

I have tried adding "|Another Department", I have tried using HTML <a href...> code, etc.  Nothing seems to work.

Labels