Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Replicate a file multiple times, saving with different names

gzzaniol
5 - Atom

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate a file that is being used for one entity for multiple entities.

One of the sheets has a column with 35x rows for each entity. How can I loop through that sheet (or a list), but replicate the whole file for each of the names on that sheet/list.

My old VBA brain says something along the lines of: for i = 1 to 49, duplicate whole file, save as i.xlsx. Is it something easy to put together?!

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @gzzaniol,

You can check this article on how to copy/move files with alteryx: 

https://tarsolutions.co.uk/blog/move-or-copy-files-in-alteryx/

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @gzzaniol 

Here is a mockup of how you can do it. 

I'm reading in the file I want to duplicate with the Directory Tool, Appending the list of file names to the set, generating the Script to be run, and the using the Run Command tool. 

Maskell_Rascal_0-1615409834319.png

Here is how I have my folders setup:

Maskell_Rascal_1-1615409941438.png

When ran successfully, this mockup will duplicate and rename the file 10 times in the Output Folder. 

Maskell_Rascal_2-1615410009054.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Thanks!

Phil

gzzaniol
5 - Atom

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot later today and will keep you posted. Really appreciate the support of the community!

gzzaniol
5 - Atom

Thanks. It worked nicely and saved me a couple hours. 

Really appreciate it.

Best,

GZ

tsingh4
7 - Meteor

Hi Maskell

When i ruin your code, it shows the error 1 at the run command, could you suggest why it is showing that

Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

@tsingh4 - Can you share a screenshot of the error and how you have the run command configured?

Ostap002
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Maskell,

It runs like that:

Ostap002_0-1667292360120.png

But if you try it in the other files it work properly.

Thank you so much for your solution!

mmarshallbdtcap1
5 - Atom

Amazing! Thank you for sharing this.

Labels