Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Regex

Phermes1
7 - Meteor

Regex is still nearly a total mystery to me, but I think this is something it would be able to do. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pulling data off of a report. Each line that I need starts with a zero and a space, and then the description and amount. Like this

0 ABC Transactions              50.00

0 BCDEF Transactions       100.00

I want to find each line and grab the first word after the zero, which will be varying lengths. So along with the amount, my output would be:

ABC         50.00

BCDEF   100.00

I know how to grab the entire description no problem, but I'm hoping to just get the vendor name and not 'transactions', just for the sake of it looking cleaner. I know I could grab it all, then drop a formula in later and just remove the stuff I don't want pretty easily. I'm thinking Regex might be a better solution though.

Thanks for any help!

-Paul

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Phermes1 

Here is how i would do it in regex tool parse mode. Capture the first word after "0 " and number after transaction.

atcodedog05_0-1621421026893.png

Hope this helps 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Phermes1 

If your vendor column which has value "ABC" always has a string without spaces. Then you can use data cleanse tool to remove duplicate spaces and use text to column (separator : space) to split them into columns without regex 🙂

atcodedog05_0-1621421334586.png

Hope this helps 🙂

GJNom
6 - Meteoroid

Hey Paul,

This might help you. Let me know if you face any problem.

image.png

GJNom
6 - Meteoroid

@Phermes1 , If you want both vendor name and amount in one cell then you can use the replace method of regex as shown in the image below.

GJNom_0-1621422736897.png

Labels