Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Read varbinary data from SQL and convert it to proper file format for further process

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

We have SQL database, where we will save our files in varbinary format. For example, we have saved 'Test.xlsx' which contains 10 columns and 100 rows of data. I would like to read the file from SQL database and convert it to test.xlsx and process (cleanup duplicate data etc.,) all the data of this excel file, i.e. 10 columns and 100 rows of data and download the processed data file as xlsx (i.e. test.xlsx) or save the file back  to SQL server in varbinary format.

3 REPLIES 3
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Jithendra ,

I'm not sure if this is the right way of doing it, but after some research, I wasn't able to find a direct way of loading the blob using the input tool, for example.

So I would suggest you to use the preSQL statement from input data tool to run a query to save the blob as input files. Link below to give you the idea.

https://gist.github.com/wislon/84149efe42e6dd540515 

Then to use the blob input to read the files dynamically .

Something like this:

fmvizcaino_0-1586921484427.png

Keep in mind that it is all theoretical, I've never tested it.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Jithendra
8 - Asteroid

Hi Fernando Vizcaino,

Thank you for the valid information. I am looking for the solution, where we can process the data with out saving physical file. I.e. directly processing the stream data. 

Thank you,

Jithendra.

smorrell2022
5 - Atom

Did you ever get this to work?  I'm working with nearly the identical ask.  I have an SQL Table with a varbinary field that is a CSV file.  I was hoping that Alteryx could connect to SQL (which it does), reads this as a CSV file format and then creates a table based on the data stored in that file.

Labels