Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Quick help: Pearson Correlation tool vs Association analysis tool with data comparison

JoeMarco
5 - Atom

Hello all,

Can someone help me understand why if I use the Pearson correlation tool vs the Association Analysis tool on the same data set with the same selected variables how can I interpret the output and explain the variables simply to a non technical/non mathematical business audience?

• If i am trying to predict revenue on store, I assume I would want to use the association analysis tool, then select the most important variables showcased by p value? Or is this not the best way to interpret?
  • It appears as though Pearson correlation tool is outputting the "Association Measure" while the association analysis tool is outputing the "Association Measure" and the "p-value"
    • Is this accurate from how the tools work?
  • If I was explaining this to a non technical /non mathematic business partner -- Does anyone have insight on how to inherently simply define and explain the difference between an association measure and a p-value when it comes to the association tool when comparing variable association?

Screens for context (+adding workflow)

Using Pearson correlation tool i select all variables

• JoeMarco_1-1633723390174.png
  • I look at correlation for the variable i was interested in:
    • JoeMarco_2-1633723450711.png

When using the association analysis tool I select the following inputs:

• JoeMarco_3-1633723506266.png
  • I see association measure same as pearson correlation tool, but now see p-value in analysis
  • JoeMarco_4-1633723558495.png
    • I assume the *** next to the p values indicate my most significant variables to consider based off my target variable? And I think i can also include these all have a negative linear correlation (as one goes up the other goes down)?

1 REPLY 1
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

These tool mastery articles take a deep dive into both of these tools and I think make it accessible to business users: 

Pearson Correlation tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Pearson-Correlation/ta... 

Association Analysis tool: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Tool-Mastery-Association-Analysis/t... 

Labels