Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Python Package Installation ERRORS and Package Version Conflict

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I want to add a python package to my Alteryx vEnv.

The specific package is spaCy.

I am following the Alteryx KB article here (Install Python Packages Via Command Prompt) .

I ran into two problems:

1.  A permission issue when trying to update the setuptools wheel
2.  A Pydantic version conflict between Alteryx  sdk and spaCy

These are the steps I followed.

Activate DesignerBaseTools_venv:

1. cd "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\Scripts"
  2. activate DesignerBaseTools_vEnv
  3. cd "C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\Miniconda3\envs\DesignerBaseTools_vEnv\Scripts" 
  4. pip install <packagetoinstall

I did modify step #4 to align with recommended spaCy steps to

pip install -U pip setuptools wheel
pip install -U spacy

The first command generated the following error.  A permission issue.  I ran Command Prompt as Administrator.

ERROR: Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\MY_PC\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-uninstall-b25ufltk\\pip.exe'
Consider using the `--user` option or check the permissions.

So, I tried just pip install -U spacy.  That produced this error

ERROR: pip's dependency resolver does not currently take into account all the packages that are installed. This behaviour is the source of the following dependency conflicts.
ayx-python-sdk 1.0.1+build.816027 requires pydantic==1.5.1, but you have pydantic 2.7.1 which is incompatible.
Successfully installed annotated-types-0.6.0 blis-0.7.11 catalogue-2.0.10 cloudpathlib-0.16.0 colorama-0.4.6 confection-0.1.4 cymem-2.0.8 langcodes-3.4.0 language-data-1.2.0 marisa-trie-1.1.0 murmurhash-1.0.10 preshed-3.0.9 pydantic-2.7.1 pydantic-core-2.18.2 smart-open-6.4.0 spacy-3.7.4 spacy-legacy-3.0.12 spacy-loggers-1.0.5 srsly-2.4.8 thinc-8.2.3 tqdm-4.66.2 typing-extensions-4.11.0 wasabi-1.1.2 weasel-0.3.4

But, it does appear that spaCy is installed and the Python Tool cam access it.

I rant the following test

import spacy
nlp = spacy.load('en_core_web_sm')
doc = nlp("This is a test sentence.")
for token in doc:
    print(token.text, token.pos_)

It successfully returned

This PRON
is AUX
a DET
test NOUN
sentence NOUN
. PUNCT

But, I assume I could run into problems elsewhere.

I assume the solution is to NOT update Alteryx's python packages as this might create other issues?

0 REPLIES 0
Labels